Yep, I'm a quitter. I left the almighty social networking mega-giant a few days ago. My friend called me a facebook runaway and it gave me a chuckle. The decision didn't come easily and I will admit that there have been moments where I've wanted to jump on the FB wagon again and just watch it all happen. Yet, I've restrained myself. Why you ask? Does it really matter? Seriously, it's simply a network of friends being friends.....OR IS IT?
About a month ago I began getting these strange feelings regarding facebook. I had already gone through my list of over 600 friends and "hid" the few who either posted idiotic things that drove me nuts, posted 100 times a day, or posted, for lack of a better explanation, f#%% as their entire status. I read posts announcing a divorce and posts where one ex was trashing another only to read as their child piped in trying to mediate these moronic adults. I had bypassed the Farmville addicts and outran the Mafia Wars and honestly couldn't tell you where to even begin to play any of these games on FB since I wasn't on it for the games. None of these steps helped this nagging inside me. Suddenly, I saw this friend post to another friend's status and I clicked on his name to see his current status and it told me I had to be his friend! GASP! Horror struck as I realized I had been dumped on facebook.
So, I did the whole replay in my mind of why anyone would dump me on facebook. Most people seemed to like my posts. I'm sure I annoyed some, but I consider that simply being who I am--annoying at times. Upon messaging him, his reply was that I depressed him so he didn't want to read my updates anymore. I respected that. I disagreed, but respected it. That wasn't the biggest issue though. What baffles me is that I suddenly felt like I was in high school again, worrying about who liked me and who didn't, whether I offended someone or not, weighing every word posted to the point where it was painful. In high school I also felt that when I was funny, I was popular. When I was serious and contemplative, which is actually the REAL me, so not popular. Then it hit me. It was time to say adios to facebook and allow myself to once again, not be a part of a group. (Never been big on group memberships.) So, that, my friends is the root of my running. Totally a personal choice. One that will eventually free me in a way I've needed to be free. One that I'm proud of making. Usually.
No comments:
Post a Comment